16 August 2011

I'm alive!

Feeling very relieved as the dreaded surgery is out of the way. All in all, it wasn't that bad. I was only in the OR for about 2 hours max. The bigger pain (literally) was my reaction to the anesthesia. I was expecting dizziness and faintness due my low blood pressure, but I did not anticipate throwing up after having my throat cut open; it was about as fun as it sounds.

I can't see the scar right now as it is covered in gauze and plastic. I have been applying loads of ice so the swelling isn't too bad. I imagine that tomorrow will likely be the worst day. Thankfully I have Percocet to get my through any pain and I really works wonders. I am trying to type this message after taking a dose, so typing is going very slowly.

Off now to rest and re-ice. I can move my head from left to right a little bit but looking up and down can be painful. All in all I am coping better than I thought. I had myself worked into such a frenzy last evening that I could barely eat, think straight or keep my eyes dry. Thankfully I smartened up this morning, took things into perspective and just went with the flow. Seeing Andrew after I got home from the hospital was the best feeling. Being here for him is all that matters

I am now trying to remain positive as my body heals. I have a followup with the surgeon in three weeks; I will get my results of the pathology report then. There is no sense worrying any more right now. For once in my life, I'm going to just relax and focus on myself.

I really have to give a big shout out to my wonderful hubby, family and daycare provider. They have been spoiling me, lending a hand with Drew and preparing lots of mushy casseroles. I go to bed tonight feeling very thankful and blessed.

No scar pictures yet...I won't get to see this little beauty for another four day. I'll admit, I'm very curious and can't wait to tear this tape off.


No comments: