03 January 2014

We aren’t cool anymore

First day back at work after the holidays and Drew’s first day back to school…sigh.

As if returning to the office wasn’t enough of a punch in the gut, the little guy’s enthusiasm was the real kicker this morning. He was so happy to be back from holidays. I suppose I should be thrilled, but a small part of me wishes he would show a tiny hint of remorse over not getting to spend the day with his father and I. When it comes down to it, we’re just no competition anymore when it comes to entertainment. I can’t say I blame him though, how do you live up to the same excitement as a whole classroom full of buddies?

I am hoping I can redeem my coolness this weekend by bringing Drew out to a museum or some sort of little excursion. The poor kid has been bottled up inside for the past four days straight because the temperature has been hovering around a bone-chilling – 27ºC (- 40º when you tack on the wind). I was supposed to bring him out yesterday but hubby’s car would not start so he needed to take mine for the day to go into the office. Needless to say, kiddo was none too happy. Here’s hoping the deep freeze tapers off soon because we’re all going a little stir crazy. I am both proud and ashamed to admit that this was the first day, in about four days, that I have gotten dressed. To mark the occasion, I even combed my hair ; )

No comments: