19 July 2012

Write off

Just got back from the collision centre and I’m sad to report that my beloved Tucson is broken beyond repair. The rails that hold up the engine are twisted and it would never drive the same. I’m gutted.

Going back and seeing the car, without the post-accident adrenaline rush, was pretty horrible. I had a chance to fully absorb the damage and ponder what could have happened had I stopped one fraction of a second later. I got teary-eyed as I took out the rest of my valuables and fished out the last of Andrew’s little traveling toys and trinkets. The Tucson was a wonderful family car and I’ll miss driving it.


Speaking of driving, I have yet to try it again since the accident. Thankfully we do have another car, although I’ll admit that I hate to drive it because I have become so accustomed to sitting higher up.  I know I have to work up the nerve, bite the bullet and have another go at it. My confidence is shaken and I’m apprehensive about now having to but another unfamiliar vehicle.  But running away from problem never helped anyone and I know this is just one more thing that I’ll have to work past. If my Mom could get back in a car after her horrible accident, I have little excuse.


So what now? Being chauffeured by a very loving and patient husband and feeling like I’m back at damn square one.  Oh course, the insurance company is also taking their sweet time in determining the payout for the car. If this goes on much longer, I’m going to have to settle for a rental until I can buy a new car. 


In the grand scheme of life, I know this is just a mere hiccup- albeit an expensive one. 

No comments: