15 November 2009

Yummy Mummy

I used to laugh at the term “yummy mummy;” now I find myself aspiring to be one. With my c-section scar, flabby belly and extra pounds, I feel about as attractive and appealing as a bucket these days. I’m chomping at the bit to get back to the gym and start whipping my large butt into gear but I still have two more weeks until I can meet with the OB for a post-operative follow-up. Some days I feel ready to run a marathon but, after a few hours spent walking around the mall on the weekend, it’s clear that I’m not even close to healed on the inside.

In an effort to regain at least piece of the “old me,” I had my hair cut in a funky, choppy bob with dark brown lowlights this weekend. I also treated myself to a new outfit which, I am sad to admit, is a good three to four sizes larger than my pre-pregnancy body. I know that it has only been a month since delivery but patience never was my virtue; I want results now!

Despite my less than favourable body image, I did manage to doll myself up this weekend to head out on my first dinner date with hubby since Drew was born. Mom and Dad watched the little “monster” while Dan and I went out to the Byward Market for some yummy Italian food, desert and some early Christmas shopping. It was nice to get out, have adult conversation and split some decent wine. However, despite my best intentions, my mind always kept wandering back to Drew and wondering how he was faring. Of course, he turned out to be a perfect angel for Mom and Dad…just after I have been telling everyone how colicky he is - go figure!

All in all, it was a decent weekend. Despite a few cranky periods with Drew, I also realized that hubs and I can get out and live some of the old life from time to time. Having a baby really does make you appreciate your spouse and quality time together that much more. I also look forward to the age where Drew is a little more settled and calmer to start bringing out with us to enjoy family activities.

No comments: