12 November 2009

My high maintenance man…

I thought women were supposed to be high maintenance, but boys?!?

This week has been a bit of a rollercoaster. Monday and Tuesday could only be described as hell! I was convinced that Andrew has colic as he wailed like a banshee from about 11:00 AM to 9:30 PM. We tried to head out to the mall on Tuesday evening to do a little early Christmas shopping and the excursion ended with both Drew and I in tears. Despite the fact that I managed to successfully feed him at the mall, all thanks to a super duper parenting room, he would not settle afterwards and kept screaming in his stroller. I was so embarrassed as I got those pitying looks from other parents and, I’m sure, eye rolls from others. No folks I don’t hit my baby, he’s just unhappy for no apparent reason.

Yesterday was a complete 180º. Drew slept for most of the day after some pro swaddling, shushing and rocking from Mom. My day pretty much ran on a perfect 3-4 hour cycle: feed for 20 minutes, burp and change for 10 minutes, sooth to sleep for 30 minutes and “me time” for 2 hours. I kept holding my breath and waiting for storm to arrive but it never really did. It’s amazing how a good day makes you feel on top of the world. I was calm, happy and rested. I even managed to go out to dinner at my parents’ place and Andrew was a complete angel, albeit one that still needed soothing and attention. Anything is great in my books, so long as I don’t have to listen to the pained wailing of Monday and Tuesday.

So far today Andrew has had a near carbon copy schedule of yesterday but I don’t want to jinx myself by getting too optimistic. I’d be thrilled if this turns into his actual temperament, however I know that newborns can change on a dime. I’m really hoping that this week’s earlier psycho behavior might be linked to a growth-spurt rather than the onset of colic. For now I’ll simply enjoy the quiet and hope it lasts a while longer. Andrew and I are expecting a visit from some friends and their babies early this afternoon. I’m hoping he behaves like a gentleman for these two little ladies; might as well start early and make a good impression on the gals while he’s young. I’m bound and determined to make him the perfect catch – the quintessential role of all meddling mothers. Some day he’ll be some other woman’s baby ; )

No comments: