23 June 2009

Father's Day

A belated Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads and Dads-to-be out there that happen to follow or stumble upon my blog.

As you can imagine Sunday, June 21 was quite the affair at my place. Being that hubby is a first-time expectant father, I had to come up with some sufficiently cheesy gifts – a “Troubleshooting your Baby” book for the quintessential Geek / IT Dad, as well as a sickeningly sweet baby book for hubby to read to his son. La piece de resistance, however, was a beautiful letter that Baby T wrote especially for his father…in utero nonetheless …what a talented little guy we have!

Father’s Day evening was capped off with a family BBQ for my Dad and Father-In-Law. It was nothing overly fussy this time, just burgers, sausages and beers (a fake brew for me). That’s the wonderful thing about being pregnant, the ability to say “to heck with it,” and take a break from my typical gourmet endeavors. All that being said, I did spend several hours baking a Dark Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake; I’m a glutton for punishment but it was sooooooo good! I also made a bean salad, macaroni salad and wicked crab dip. Overall it was a nice informal evening spent out on the patio; everyone had a great time and it was nice to have two fathers and one father-to-be sharing their special day.

I would also be remiss not to mention that “bean” got spoilt over the weekend. My Father-In-Law’s girlfriend, JM, surprised hubby and I with a beautiful hand-sewn quilt for the nursery. It is beyond beautiful and I never expected to receive anything like it. It took her several months to complete and the level of detail and embroidery is mind-boggling. I am deeply touched; “Bean” sure is lucky to have such lovely and generous people awaiting his arrival.

No comments: