22 March 2009

Can’t a girl just have some pancakes?!?

I’ve been craving pancakes lately, BIG TIME!  Typically I’ll eat them only a few times each year for a special breakfast or brunch.  Being that Spring is officially here, and we’re right in the swing of maple season, I can’t seem to stop salivating at the thought of syrupy-sweet pancakey goodness.  Yup…I’m drooling right now!

This weekend I decided to cave to the crave and went out in search of the ultimate pancake experience.
  I had my heart set on authenticity – an “all-you-can-eat” pancake breakfast at the local Sugar Bush.   Yesterday hubby and I set off into the glorious sunshine with our good friends M, L and baby C to indulge our hungry bellies and enjoy our own little seasonal slice of Canadiana.  Luckily, we have a Sugar Bush about 5 minutes from our place but it turns out it is well-known by everyone in the area; I think the entire population of Orleans had the same idea yesterday…darn!

Here’s the rundown:

10:00 
Meet M, L and ever-amazingly cute baby C

10:05

Convoy to Sugar Bush

10:15

Arrive Sugar Bush, found parking (yay)

10:16

Wait in mystery lineup to find out where we can get pancakes

10:25 

Discover we need to take horse-drawn carriage to pancake house…cough up $

10:35

Get on carriage

10:45

Arrive at pancake house with huge 2-hour lineup

10:46

Commence muttering and cursing

10:47
Decide to get taffy on snow instead…cough up $

10:48

Taffy ingested, decide to leave and get pancakes at local pub

11:00 

Arrive at local pub for pancake breakfast.
 
SURPRISE, power down and no generator just as we step in the door.

11:01

More mumbling and cursing (stomach growling furiously)

11:10

Arrive at another local pub

11:20

Finally get table

11:40

Pancakes, finally!

In the end I ate:

2 ½ huge pancakes,
2 pieces of toast swimming in butter,
greasy sausages,
scrambled eggs,
home fries.

Not a great day for the bathroom scale, but I was bound and determined to get my giant feed after all that build-up!

No comments: