03 January 2009

Happy 2009!


Okay so I’m three days late - give a gal a break.  

This year hubby and I rang in the New Year with our siblings, which was very nice and restful for a change. We cooked up a big pot of curry, drank tons of yummy wine and spent a good deal of time playing Rock Band and Lips – a new karaoke game for the Xbox. At 23:30 we switched the T.V. on to Carson Daily’s New Year’s Eve Party from New York City to watch the ball drop. Sadly, it just isn’t the same without Dick Clarke anymore…sigh. 2009 was rung in with a glass of some new Yellow Tail Sparkling Rosé, unconventional but a very tasty alternative that we found at the Wine Show. After the typical kiss and a patchy rendition of Auld Lang Syne, we each made the customary call to our parents to wish them a Happy New Year. All in all, it was a fun night and a nice break from some of the larger house parties we’ve hosted or attended in the past. One of the joys of getting older is watching your family ties draw closer again.

The first day of 2009 was spent nursing grogginess and a slight hangover. Not surprisingly, all the late nights and busy schedule brought on a cold – my first since April 2006. After pumping myself full of Advil Cold & Sinus (miracle drug), hubby and I went out to enjoy an hour of snowshoeing on a nearby trail. It was perfect and just what the Doctor ordered; the fresh air made me feel a million times better.

After snowshoeing hubs and I headed over to my parents’ house for the traditional NY Lasagna dinner with Mom, Dad, Auntie M and Godmother J. By this point I was feeling pretty groggy again so I spent the bulk of my time curled up on hubby’s lap in front of the fire. Dinner was great and it was fun to hear Mom and the great aunties reminiscing about growing up together. The other half of the evening seemed to be centered on suggesting names for my future children…not that they’re chomping at the bit or anything – Ha!

It was a busy end to a busy year and I’m hoping that 2009 will be better, healthier and happier for all. With only two days remaining until I return to work, I have made big plans to hang around doing nothing in my jammies - the best holiday gift I could ever give myself.


No comments: