13 December 2008

Puffer fish

Day two of the lip saga and I’m certainly looking a little puffier than yesterday. All of the freezing is out now and I can confidently say that I have lost some feeling in my lip due to severed nerves during the surgery. All in all, however, it’s a slight numbness and not too bad. I’m confident that I’ll regain full feeling within the week.

I’m pleasantly surprised that my lip doesn’t hurt nearly as much as I thought it would. I woke up once in the middle of the night because I had rolled on to my stomach and planted my head down, face-first, onto the pillow. Not surprisingly, this caused my lip to swell and I awoke with a bit of pulsating at incision site. It took me about 20 minutes to fall back asleep but I was able to stay out on my back for the rest of the night. I only took a few Advil (no more evil Tylenol) this morning to help with the swelling but, once again, there really isn’t any pain worth mentioning.

Despite being relieved that the cyst is gone and that all seems to be healing well, I’m still feeling down in the dumps today. Hubby is going to his office Christmas party tonight at his boss’s house. I happen to love this guy because he is a fellow Bordeaux lover and did not hesitate to keep filling my glass last year. The party is also a potluck for all the employees who are encouraged to bring a traditional dish from their culture. Given the fact that the doctor told me to avoid alcohol and spicy dishes, that pretty much rules out the party for me. Go figure that I have to avoid my two favourite things in life – spice and booze – and all during the season that is typically replete with indulgence…damn! I suppose I could just go to party, starve, stare longingly at the table and stand at my hubby’s side, but the fact that I look like a mixture of bar fight and Botox recipient means that I’d garner more than few strange looks. We’ll see how I fare by the end of the day. In the meantime, I’m preparing my famous Irish Soda Bread (as cooked on T.V. last year). Despite the swelling, I’m bound and determined to have a piece!

I’m off to bake and wallow in my own puffy self pity now. And for your own curiosity, this is what the 'freak' lip looks like now. Believe it or not, this is not at the height of the swelling. So what's the consensus folks, think hubby's coworkers would notice? Hahaha!


No comments: