01 October 2008

The “way too eager” beaver…

I’m a dork and way too organized for my own good. Perhaps some folks would accuse me of being anal and taking the mystery and adventure out of life. What people fail to understand, as sad as it sounds, is that I live to plan things…and very meticulously I might add!

Despite my best intentions to hold off until closer to the trip, I just booked the last of our accommodations in Paris. Per usual, I was browsing the holy grail of travel sites, Trip Advisor, when I stumbled across a little gem right near the Eiffel Tower. I was originally planning on staying in the 7e arrondissement, an upscale area of Paris, but had abandoned hope after seeing some of the regular prices for accommodations in the surrounding neighborhood. Instead I found a cheap and cheerful looking place in the busy Quartier Latin in the 5e arrondissement - the only problem being that the reasonable price meant a very competitive booking process and I would have to wait until December 15th to book a room for April 2009. In my heart of hearts, I still wanted to be in the 7e. Needless to say, I was thrilled to get a hit when I searched for new properties yesterday. At 420 Euros for three nights, the 3-star hotel isn’t exactly a steal but it is much more reasonable than some of the other properties that I had found in the 7e a few months ago. I lucked out on an internet price promotion but still have the added benefit of being able to cancel without penalty up to two days before arrival. I am also quite pleased by the TA reviews that that have the hotel ranked as 4.5 out of 5 stars – high praise from the often-discerning members of the forum. Check it out - a restored Napoleonic Mansion - isn't it so perfectly Parisian? I'm already craving the side-walk cafés, exorbitant prices and the notoriously aloof people!


Parfait n'est-ce pas?


Escalier carctéristique. I'm such a sucker for the architecture.



I’m quite pleased that all my hotels are now booked. It appears that my eagerness, while laughable, also comes in handy from time to time. I managed to stay within budget and lucked out on nicer properties than I probably would have if I waited until the last minute…or at least that’s what I tell myself to justify my anal retentiveness. But fear not dear readers, there is ALWAYS more for me to plan. Now I have six months to memorize maps, plot of travel routes and learn local customs and colloquialisms – hahaha! Actually, the beauty about travel is that no matter how well you prepare, there are always wonderful surprises just around the corner. I’m organized folks, but even I love to leave certain things to chance.

No comments: