23 September 2008

Two years and we’re still honeymooning…

First off, I want to wish my wonderful husband (who will undoubtedly read this) a happy wedding anniversary! Sorry I can’t be home to celebrate with you, my love. Instead you will be dining with my parents and I will undoubtedly be getting drunk all my lonesome in a gloomy hotel room. Beautiful, is it not?

So as you can guess, I’m still quite upset over being separated from hubby on our anniversary. I suppose, however, that we will have to get accustomed to this as we will undoubtedly fall into the same conventional routine as most other couples and only celebrate the big “5-year” milestones ...which seems more akin to a corporate business plan rather than a happy marriage in my humble opinion.

It’s hard to believe that this time, two years ago, we were sealing the deal with those fateful vows. At the time it almost felt as though we were merely actors in a play. We were reciting the lines and performing our roles but only now, a few years into marraige, am I truly starting to comprehend the importance and weight of those promises that we made to one another. You see, we have had actually had a chance to live those vows now and while I never thought it possible, I believe we are even closer today than we were back then. Marriage really did complete that circle; it put all the pieces into place and made us whole. I’m not trying to be romantic or wax poetic; I’m merely stating a fact…it’s something as natural as the act of breathing.

I hear so many couples state that the honeymoon period begins to fade after the first year of marriage, but I can honestly say that my contentment only seems to grow. Yes we argue and have our bad days, but there is always the strange and comforting knowledge that we just “work”. Daniel is the other half of me, my soulmate I suppose, although it’s a word I use infrequently. I imagine that is why I always feel a little blue when we’re separated by distance. It’s not that I don’t enjoy time to myself (I downright relish it at times), but when he’s not near I can’t help but feel as though a part of me is missing. It’s both a frightening and beautiful sensation, to know that you're that connected to someone.


What can I say...I miss my old shoe - lol

Love you hubby and I'll raise a glass, or two, or three in your (and our) honour tonight.


Update (11:30 p.m.)

My hubby is the best...he sent a flower arrangement to my hotel room! I received the suprise just as I was about to step out the door on my way to the AGM banquet. It almost reduced me to tears.

In true celebratory spirit, I did have "several" glasses on wine at dinner. I even stuck around and sang along loudy with the bands...despite the fact that the VP was sitting right at the next table and probably thinks I'm a wild one now. See what happens when I'm left to my own devices?!?

1 comment:

F3rret said...

Oh, you made me tear up at work. Damn you. :P

I can't say it as eloquently as you, but I love you too. :)