23 June 2008

Go big or go home…

I have always firmly believed in the old adage, “Go big or go home.” This expression particularly applies to my attitude towards party planning. It is becoming a well-known fact that hubby and I reign supreme when it comes to throwing ‘theme parties’. Halloween and St. Patrick’s Day are two standard favourites and now we can officially add “Tropical” to our repertoire.

In honour of hubby’s upcoming 28th Birthday and in celebration of the first day of Summer, I decided to throw a “Tropical” beach-themed party at our place this past weekend. Think ‘tacky tourist’ complete with tiki torches, inflatable tropical animals, paper lanterns, leis, sultry Spanish tunes and loads of rum-filled food and drink. It was a recipe for fun and the perfect opportunity to let our hair down, share some laughs and generally not take ourselves too seriously. Sadly, in my case, it was also the impetus to try a new Sangria recipe that had me feeling ‘sea-sick’ without the ocean…if you catch my drift…. Something tells me, however, that I was not the only one grabbing their head and groaning the next day.

Despite the hours of preparation and decorating, Dan and I cannot take full credit for the success of parties past and present. I am also a firm believer that, “the people make the party.” It is our friends that truly make each event memorable. We are fortunate to be blessed with a group of friends that embrace the opportunity to act a little silly from time to time. Despite the fact that many of us are now husbands, wives, mothers and fathers, we still take the time to be ‘kids’ ourselves – a very refreshing change from our usual day-to-day roles and responsibilities.

And now for your viewing pleasure, some photos of our wonderful friends who thankfully always get into the spirit of things…




















What's a tropical party without some time in the sun?



















Inevitably, it always turns into a kitchen party



















Happy Birthday to my one and only!



















Party people



















Los Hombres































Island beauties




















My Brother-In-Law seems 'very' excited!

























Obligatory cheesy tourist shot



















Sharky gets some love from the B-Day boy



















Outdoor fun in a haze of Citronella

























IT-Science guy by day, beach bum by night


























Boys will be boys




















Mommy and son boogie down to tropical beats



No comments: