07 May 2008

Life as we know it…

I have been back at work for a total of three days and I already feel like I need another vacation. It seems I have a nasty habit of fleeing the country during my office’s busiest time of the year, only to return to a suffocating mountain of work, issues and emails. To be perfectly honest though, I don’t think there is ever a “good” time to leave for vacation; we’re always busy.

Despite my reluctance to return to the regular grind, I have managed to have a very productive week. I’m starting to think that maybe all those piña coladas have finally cleared my muddled brain and provided me some much-needed inspiration for my writing. A week away from the glut of demands and info overload can truly do the body and mind a world of good. This being said, however, returning to work can feel doubly suffocating and intimidating after a week of absolute lethargy, when all one had to worry about is what bikini to sport next or whether to swim in the crystalline sea or pay another visit to the pool’s swim-up bar….le sigh. I guess I will have to be content with the fact that I at least managed to escape reality for a little while. With a bit of luck and a little more money (haven’t worked out that crucial bit yet), hopefully I’ll be winging my way to Costa Rica or Europe next year. At any rate, it’s always fun to dream.

With any imminent vacation plans off the shelf, it’s straight back to our busy schedules for hubby and I. While we had hoped to spend a relaxing weekend in, plans quickly materialized over a 24 hour period. On Friday we're off to the pub to celebrate my brother-in-law’s birthday. On Saturday I have committed the day to improving my sorely-neglected garden and landscaping; the evening will once again be spent celebrating BIL’s birthday with the family. To top the whole weekend off, I will be cooking Mother’s Day dinner at my place on Sunday. I think I’ll have to lean towards a simpler recipe this time as Daniel and I want to visit his Nana at the retirement home and his mother’s grave to pay our respects.

I always feel so horrid on Mother’s Day. I am beyond thankful that my own mother is still with us, but it tears at my heart to know that we’ll never be able to celebrate with my wonderful mother-in-law. The day will always be tinged with sadness, regret and in some ways, a sense of being cheated out of one of life’s greatest joys. I don’t care how old you are, the love and that inexplicable bond between mother and child never lessens. It pains me to know that she’ll never get to know her son as the successful young man he is, the amazing husband he has become or the wonderful father he’ll undoubtedly be some day. To all you readers who like to complain about your parents, I urge you to stop and take things into perspective this weekend. Realize how lucky you are to have your Mom or Dad, forget the little annoyances and trivial matters, and celebrate the lives that ultimately gave you yours.

No comments: