14 April 2008

Sixty-five years young…

Yesterday hubby and I threw a surprise party to celebrate my father’s 65th Birthday! Now that I can actually talk/ write about it, I am happy to report that everything went off without a hitch and the birthday boy was completely oblivious to our little scheme.

Sadly, we never organized anything to celebrate his retirement from the force or his 50th and 60th birthdays, so this was the perfect opportunity to cook up our long-overdue surprise. Dad was under the impression that he would be showing up at my place for the standard birthday dinner, but instead he walked into a room of relatives and friends poised with cameras…SURPRISE!

All in all, it was a very fun evening. Per usual, I cooked enough food to feed an army or small country – a gargantuan spread more befitting of an Italian wedding. But, as I have learnt from the past few years of playing hostess, good food and lots of wine makes for very happy guests. Furthermore, a fridge full of leftovers makes for a very happy Jenny who will not have to cook anything for days or weeks to come!

So there you have it, yet another weekend of overindulgence and little to no sleep, but well worth it to see the surprise and smile on my father’s face. Happy 65th Pappy and here’s to many more!

No comments: