20 January 2008

Sunday's food and boredom-induced ramblings...

A pointless entry really, but I’m reluctant to get off my behind and start the day. It’s past 9:00 a.m. and I’m actually still sitting here playing around on my computer. Typically, I’ll start rushing around the house, cleaning things the moment that I’ve finished my coffee (a.k.a. Jenny fuel). Today I vow to relax until at least 10:00 a.m. It doesn’t sound like much to most people, but staying put in one spot for over an hour is quite an accomplishment for me…sad really.

Tonight I will be trying out a new recipe for dinner, Tuskinny Chicken, from the ever-popular Eat Shrink and Be Merry. I’ve been hearing rave reviews about this book, so I naturally HAD to pick it up. I’m seriously starting to think that I could open a cooking library with all the books that I’ve purchased lately. Food is quickly becoming a bit of an obsession – an expensive one at that!

Per usual, I’m looking for a willing guinea pig for tonight’s meal. Hubby is always eager when Sunday rolls around because this is “new recipe day” in our house. But because he is my hubby, and perhaps a bit biased, I always like having a few other reviewers on hand. Last week I cooked for my parents and tonight I’m hoping that my brother will be able to come over. If anything, I want to see his face as I load the mushrooms and peppers on his plate. My goal is to get people to eat and enjoy things that they typically can’t stomach. He always swore off curry, but he has since changed his tune since I got him to try a Tikka Masala. I’m hoping that tonight will prove equally successful.


In other news, be sure to check out the “Taste of Winterlude” festival between January 24th and February 10th. A selection of some of Ottawa’s finest restaurants will be offering special prix fixe menus. This is a great way to discover some of those hidden culinary gems in Ottawa, without having to pay the often-ostentatious prices. For a full listing of participating venues and menus, check out the website. Be sure to call and make reservations soon as spaces are limited. I’m hoping to make the most of this event. My birthday is coming up in a few months and I’ve always believed that a nice meal out makes the perfect early gift. Hint, hint to all you friends and family who are reading this.

No comments: